MultiPing change history
Last Revision: May 24th, 2010
Download the latest release from our download page
May 24th, 2010 - Version 2.10.2 released
This is primarily a bug fix, and is a free
upgrade for all MultiPing 1.x or 2.x licensees.
Changes since 2.10.1:
- Fixed email alerts to be able to use GMail for SMTP again (Gmail slightly changed STARTTLS support, and MultiPing stopped working).
- Fixed problem where sometimes an alert email might have all history since last alert fired - even if that was days or weeks ago.
- Improved config load/save time. With some virus scanners, the shutdown save would sometimes be slow.
- Fixed a problem where removing an alert from a target wouldn't be remembered after close/restart.
- Fixed a problem where some settings / changes might not be saved on shutdown in some scenarios.
March 16th, 2010 - Version 2.10.1 released
Changes since 2.10.0:
- Alert email password was not being saved on some computers.
- When targets were being sorted, resetting the "Focus" back to current after looking at a period in the past would not always correctly reset the upper graph focus.
- Sorting by Min/Max and Avg columns now sorts timed out targets as high latency rather than low latency.
February 13th, 2010 - Version 2.10.0 released
Changes since 2.00.1:
- Settings and collected data are now saved in the user profile if the install directory is not writeable.
- Compatible with Vista and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit (fixed DEP problems, other issues).
- Ships with StartTLS email support (can now send email via gmail account using SMTP).
- Time graph heights are now saved / restored.
- New MSI-based installer (old version is uninstalled first, if you have it installed). The install and MultiPing.exe are now code-signed as well, if you ever have reason to question their integrity.
- Time graph updates are faster - other performance improvements have been made.
- Added gridlines to time graph for latency.
- Can now display min and max latencies in the time graph, in case pixel averaging is hiding some details.
- Some enhancements to alert events, including better "Launch an Executable" capabilities.
- Tray icon shows the current workspace name, if a workspace is in use (to help differentiate between multiple instances of MultiPing).
- Fixed a problem where MultiPing would sometimes crash when loaded (on just a few computers) due to problems with the integrity checking logic.
- Added balloon callout instead of error message if no target name was entered, or if the entered target is already being monitored.
- New alert option to not show the alert indicator on the main graph (for logging alerts that always log).
- Time graphs now show the unit of measure for latency (milliseconds) and packet loss (%), along with a bit better labels.
- Email alerts "Maximum email frequency" no longer "queues up" alert emails, instead it stops checking if you've gotten an alert recently - that keeps alert emails more timely/current if a problem stops happening during the "Maximum email frequency" period.
- Added a "Email Nessoft Support..." option under the Help menu.
- Fixed a problem when saving and reloading history when there were more than 255 targets being monitored.
- Fixed a problem with an occasional "Out of resources" error when the tray icon was being hidden/shown.
- More ... tweaks, fixes, etc.
November 29th, 2006 - Version 2.00.1 released
Version 2.00.1 of MultiPing is primarily a bug fix.
Changes since 2.00.0:
- Fixed occasional error: "Cannot create shell notification icon" at boot if MultiPing was in startup group.
- Workspace collected data is now saved to a temporary file first, then renamed (this ensures a file is fully saved before the old file is overwritten).
- If collected data was partially saved on shutdown (or file was corrupted), a "Catastrophic Failure" error would show and there was no way to fix it without manually deleting the file.
- If time graph was narrow, the time scale would overwrite the target name. Now, the target name wins to make it easier to read.
- If MultiPing was minimized or maximized and then closed, the normal window size wasn't saved.
- If the network was down when loading a workspace, the re-resolving of DNS names would cause the startup process to fail. Now, the previously resolved IPs are used and pinging begins - even if the network is down.
- Updates to the help file to support context sensitive help popups on Vista.
- Minor fixes to exception handling (now includes a bit more information, better stack information).
- Rare Access Violation on shutdown corrected.
August 10th, 2006 - Version 2.00.0 released
- Collected data is now saved with your workspaces. Closing and restarting
MultiPing no longer loses all history.
- Time graphs can now be sorted to match the target list graph (right-click
on the time graphs and use the "Sort to match target list" menu option).
- New option to prompt or minimize to tray instead of closing if "X" button
- Hops that have alerts firing on them have a red "exclamation point"
indicator, plus a float-over hint showing which alerts are firing.
- Customizable alert email messages (better for pagers and mobile phone
- Mouse wheel scroll wheel scrolls the time graphs forward / backward.
CTRL-mouse wheel zooms the time graphs.
- Sort column and order is now saved / reloaded in workspace.
- Can now rename a target in the list by right-clicking and "Rename selected
- Expanded help file now in HTML help format.
- New Options Dialog.
- Improve time graph area resize logic. Your current size is also saved in
- Entering a time in "Samples to include" auto-calculates the number of
samples that would make that happen.
- Column headers in grid now use current system theme (on OSes with theme
support - i.e., Windows XP)
- Date / times on summary graph now use time format from computer, rather
than forcing am/pm style times.
- Now uses TrueType font on main trace graph - text is easier to read,
especially when using large fonts.
- Show a "reason" message if address is already being pinged and you attempt
to add it again (rather than doing nothing).
- Resizing columns in the graph has better indicator - more clean and
- New "Customize View" menu option to turn on/off columns in grid.
- Saving or loading a workspace updates the caption with the workspace name
- this differentiates between multiple running instances.
- New focus indicator on time graphs is easier to see / understand.
- Error logs are now limited in size.
- ms (milliseconds) indicator now shown on legend (rather than unlabeled
- Updated taskbar behavior: Move, Size, Tile, Cascade now work.
Non-standard Alt-tab managers now work better.
- New exception (error) handling system.
- Target names are re-resolved when you load workspaces with history.
- With more than 255 targets, performance is now MUCH better than
previously, especially with any time graphs displayed.
July 6th, 2004 - Version 1.01.2 released
Version 1.01.2 is primarily a bug fix.
- If the computer was running for over 25 days since the last reboot, using the scrollbar in the timegraph area would freeze MultiPing requiring a forcible termination. Fixed.
- Fixed the erratic behavior resizing the graphs in the timegraph area using the invisible splitter directly above the lowest graph.
- The right-clickable area for a time-graph was artificially reduced even if a timegraph was not floating. Fixed.
June 17th, 2004 - Version 1.01.1 released
Version 1.01 is primarily a bug fix.
- Email alert subject line including $HOST filled in -- NO HOST -- always instead of the alerting target. Fixed.
- PingPlotter integration would only work if PingPlotter was installed before MultiPing was launched. PingPlotter can now be installed anytime and right-click menu in MultiPing will allow exporting data to PingPlotter.
- Error messages now show a lot more details that can be used in our troubleshooting efforts. Also, support emails can be created right from the error dialog.
March 8th, 2004 - Version 1.01 released
Version 1.01 is primarily a bug fix.
- Enhanced support for emailing alert messages. MultiPing now supports non-standard SMTP server ports and SMTP servers that require username / password login.
- Any unexpected packet errors (for example, removal of all network cards, or TTL expired messages) now show the error message above the graph in the main window.
- Packets that expired in transit wouldn't report correctly. Now these appear as lost packets and a message is displayed.
- The alert setup dialog would sometimes lose events when switching between alerts. Also, settings would sometimes be overwritten with default settings.
- Associating more than one alert to a target would lose all associations to that target.
- Alert emails included samples from *all* targets, not just the one that caused the alert to fire.
- "Log to file" alert event would only allow US characters in the filename. Many non-US characters are now allowed.
- An error message would sometimes occur when a dialog was very close to the desktop border and a popup hint appeared near that border.
- Width of user interface didn't load correctly when closing / reopening MultiPing.
- When adding a new target, the wrong time graph would sometimes flash.
- Packet Loss graph scale wasn't remembered correctly between sessions.
- Time period for time graphs would sometimes reload as 0 seconds, instead of default or previous settings.
- Reset / Restart (right-click Start/Stop button) didn't always clear history data for hosts added mid-session.
December 20th, 2003 - Initial version 1.00 released