Topic Options
#1799 - 01/12/07 02:40 PM Help
randall321 Offline

What i have for internet is Motorola wireless 900 mhz broadband, My problem is i can surf the internet for about 4 to 10 pages then all of a sudden my connection stops and i get a Page cannot be displayed. I can be playing a game and ping and quality of connection will be great, then all of a sudden i will lose connection. I ran a ping using the cmd prompt and as long as i didnt surf the internet i didnt have a problem. But when i started surfing about every 4th page i would get a Page cannont be displayed and i would start getting request timed out in my pinging. It would last about 4 request some times more then it would start pinging with good pings around 80 or so.

Attachments
1826-www.google.com.png

Edited by randall321 (01/12/07 02:43 PM)

#1800 - 01/12/07 02:44 PM Re: Help [Re: randall321]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.

10 samples really isn't enough to see too much. Please collect at least 100 or 200 samples, save that off to a .pp2 file (File -> Save Sample Set...), then email that to support@pingplotter.com. We'll have a look at that and come up with some recommendations.

- Pete

#1801 - 01/12/07 05:17 PM Re: Help [Re: Pete Ness]
randall321 Offline

Ok i sent one to the email you posted.

#1802 - 01/12/07 05:41 PM Re: Help [Re: randall321]
Pete Ness Offline

Thanks for emailing the followup information.

Your setup is a bit complicated, but let's see what we can figure out here.

First off, I"m guessing that hop 1 is a device you own, and hop 2 is inside your ISP (on the other side of the 900 mhz broadband device). It looks like hop 3 is probably controlled by your ISP. If I'm wrong on those guesses, then the "culprit" devices may be different than I'm speculating here.

So the first, obvious problem is that you're having spotty packet loss at hop 2. This is probably the wireless device that's not reliable. I've attached a graph that shows hop 1, hop 2 and the final destination. Notice how hop 2 is showing "bursts" of packet loss, and that you can also see the same "bursts" at the final destination? (You have to look for a more solid red pattern during that burst period).

Now, once we get beyond hop 2, the situation gets harder to understand. It looks like your ISP is load balancing between two separate providers - hop 3 is changing between a Network USA connection and a Bell South connection. These routes are *considerably* different, and are causing PingPlotter some problems in tracing the route - partly because of route length changes. We could tweak some settings to clean up the final destination a bit, but the intermediate hops are still confusing, since the same sample set will include routers from both "routes" to the destination. It might be better to try tracing to a different target and see if you can get a target that only uses one of the load-balanced systems inside your ISP. Most ISPs don't switch between providers in such a free-form way. Your ISP randomly (seemingly) picks the NetworkUSA or Bell South connection on a packet-by-packet basis, and this makes the traceroute hard to interpret. This is probably not affecting the end experience for you, so you shouldn't worry about this very much.

It really looks like your problem is the 900mhz wireless device - the hop 1 to hop 2 link. (Remembering that I don't *know* that's where this link is - you'll need to verify). I'd recommend contacting your wireless network provider and see if they have some ways to eliminate the bursts of packet loss you're seeing at hop 2. That packet loss is real, and it matches packet loss seen at the final destination. The other packet loss in the intermediate hops (and final destination) may be an artifact of the load balancing system in place, and isn't necessarily affecting you.

- Pete

Attachments
1829-www.google.com.png

#1803 - 01/12/07 06:45 PM Re: Help [Re: Pete Ness]
randall321 Offline

Let me explain what i have here. I have cat5 from my on board nvidia network goes to my WirelessG model# WRT54G, Then i have a power adapter that plugs into the internet slot on the back of the router the i have a cat5 cable coming off the power adapter to my antena. Does this help? Who can i ping. My provider gets his bandwidth from www.cp-tel. which uses Bellsouth. I will post some pictures in a minutes

#1804 - 01/12/07 06:58 PM Re: Help [Re: randall321]
randall321 Offline

This is it.

Attachments
1831-100_1456r.jpg

Edited by randall321 (01/12/07 07:01 PM)

#1805 - 01/12/07 07:01 PM Re: Help [Re: randall321]
randall321 Offline

antena

Attachments
1832-100_1450r.jpg

#1806 - 01/12/07 07:11 PM Re: Help [Re: randall321]
Pete Ness Offline

Well ... it sounds like your Linksys is at hop 1 (we have one here we test regularly with different bioses, and it reports back as hop 1 when it's hooked up like yours is). This would put your ISP on the other side of hop 2, based on your description / pictures.

I assume that your wireless ISP installed your antenna - they can probably improve the packet loss problems you're seeing by adjusting or tweaking somehow. I'd give them a call and tell them you're seeing slow performance, lots of packet loss, and a bad internet experience.

As for picking a better target, you want to pick one that has a better affinity to a single route. I'd start out by tracing to your ISPs mail server, since this probably inside their complex and doesn't even involve other carriers. If they outsource their mail server, though, it might not be a good choice. If your mail server is outside their network, there's probably *some* service they provide that uses a server inside their own network. Go through your ISPs documentation and try a few. If you can't find one, then try opening up the "Route Changes" area on the left of PingPlotter and just pick a few different servers - maybe a Bellsouth one, and a few other providers, and see if you can find one that doesn't have wildly fluctuating routes.

Your problem, though, is at the hop 1 -> hop 2 link, so finding a good trace target is only useful in that it might make your PingPlotter pictures a bit more clear to your ISP, if you need to send them evidence of your problem. If you can't easily find a more stable (i.e., fewer route changes) server to trace to, just move ahead with trying to get your wireless ISP to help you solve the problem.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod